5 days Salkantay Trek
SALKANTAY TREK 5 DAYS
Salkantay Trek mountain and Machu Picchu is one of the most requested treks in Cusco, it is an alternative route after the Inca trail where we will test your physique.
The walk takes you through different types of landscapes. You will have the best opportunity to see the typical landscape and even the snowy mountains, to the tropical forests and, finally, to venture into the tranquility of the jungle. If you are thinking of taking a trekking trip to Machu Picchu and want to be away from everything, close to communities and things and appreciate the beautiful and diverse nature of Peru, the Salkantay Trek is highly recommended.
- Tour Type: Hiking, camping, adventure, history, culture.
- Good For: Those in moderate shape, or better.
- Difficulty: Challenging.
- Considerations: Night three includes our best camping site, overlooking Machu Picchu to enjoy the sunrise and sunset over Machu picchu.
- Starting Altitude – 3200m.
- Highest Altitude – 4650m / 15,200ft.
- Walking Distance – 72 km.
- Longest Day – Day 2, approximately 22 km/11 miles.
- Coldest Night – Day 1 around 0º celsius.
- Acclimatization is Recommended.
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA
You will be picked up from your hotel in Cusco at around 4.30 a.m. and once all clients have been collected we will depart at around 5.00 a.m. passing through the towns of Izcuchaca and Limatambo and arriving in Mollepata at approximately 8.00 a.m. where we will have breakfast and prepare our bags of 5 kg to give to the porter.
MOLLEPATA – MARQOQ’ASA – SORAYPAMPA We will take a bus from Mollepata to Marqoq’asa, which will take about 45 minutes. From here we will walk for two hours to the mirador of Horada Pata where the valley divides into two (Valley of Mollepata and Marqoq’asa). We will follow the trail for three and a half hours to our lunch point and camping ground of Soraypampa.
Marqoq’asa y Soraypampa (14 KM. 5 hours)
OPTION: Hike up to visit Humantay lagoon located at 4220 m.a.s.l., which will take 1 hour and 20 minutes. The return descent will take about 40 minutes.
Tea will be served at 6.00 p.m. followed by dinner at 7.30 p.m. and finally head to our tents for a good night sleep.
DAY 2: SORAYMAPA – SALKANTAY – CHAULLAY
- Walking Distance – 22 km / 13.7 miles
- Starting Elevation – 3800 meters ASL / 12467 feet ASL
- Campsite Elevation – 2750 meters ASL / 9022 feet ASL
- Maximum Altitude: 4650 meters ASL / 15255 feet ASL
- Difficulty: Challenging
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner (Plus snacks and afternoon tea time)
We will wake up at 5 a.m. and have breakfast and at 6.30 a.m. and then continue with our hike where we will climb for 4 hours until the Salkantay crossing point located at 4650 m.a.s.l. Here we will pass by two important historical points (Salkantay-Pampa and Soyroq’ocha) where we will make a small offering of coca leaves to Pachamama and Apu Salkantay. Our guide will also tell us about the history and religion of the Incas.
We will descend for two and half hours towards our lunch spot in Huayrac-Pampa where we will have one and a half hours to eat and rest before continuing with the hike descending from 4100 m.a.s.l. to 2900 m.a.s.l. that will take around three hours and a half. This part of the treck is surrounded by jungle and we will arrive at the campsite of Chaullay where we will have tea and then dinner.
SORAYPAMPA- SALKANTAY- CHAULLAY (22 KM. 10 hours)
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – PLAYA SAHUAYACO – SANTA TERESA
We will have breakfast at 6.00 a.m. and shortly after begin today’s hike where we will walk for approximately five and a half hours through jungle where you will come across many ascends and descends. In this area we can see and appreciate the coffee, orchid cloud forest plantations and many natural plants used for natural medicines. We will arrive at our lunch spot in Playa Sahuayaca were we will have a buffet lunch and take a bus, which is included, to Playa Santa Teresa our campsite. Here we have the option to visit the thermal baths located in Cocalmayo (Santa Teresa), which is not included in the package. We will return to our campsite at 6.00 p.m. for tea and later dinner.
CHAULLAY – PLAYA (14 KM. 5 hours)
DAY 4: SANTA TERESA – HIDROELECTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES:
The sunrise will take place inside a tropical zone filled with history and nature. Here we will have breakfast and be ready to continue our hike towards Hidroeléctrica where we will have lunch in a restaurant. After lunch we will continue our hike through this tropical zone towards Aguas Calientes where we will stay in a hostel and have dinner at 6.30 p.m.
SANTA TERESA – HIDROELECTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES
(22 KM. 6 hours)
DAY 5: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO
At 4.30 a.m. we will make our way to the majestic city of the Incas, Machu Picchu, accompanied by our guide which we will visit for approximately 2 hours. For the rest of the day you will have free time to visit the citadel on your own, Huayna Picch, Inti Punku, or the temple of the moon. In the afternoon we will return to the town of Aguas Calientes and depending on the time of our train return to Ollantaytambo and then by bus to Cusco.
- Transport from Cusco to Mollepata by BUS TURISTICO
- Professional guide
- 4 breakfasts
- 4 lunches
- 4 dinners
- Horses (equipment, food, and 5 Kilos equipment of the client (including tents and mattresses), in the event that the clients load exceeds the maximum weight it will be the responsibility of the booking agency and/or client) for three days.
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- 01 night stay in a Hostel in Aguas Calientes
- Return ticket (by train) from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo – depending on availability.
- Transport from Ollantaytambo to Cusco by bus (TURISTICO) with a final drop off point in Plaza San Francisco.
- Breakfast on the first day.
- Lunch on the last day.
- HOT WATER DURING THE TOUR
- Transport from Santa Teresa to Hidroelectrica
- Entrance fee to Huaynapicchu
- Bus services (CONCETUR) to Machupicchu
- Sleeping Bag
- Inflatable mattress
- Train to Hidroeléctrica
- Extra services and expenses
- Warm clothes for the night.
- Water-proof clothes.
- Several shirts.
- Insect repellent.
- Plastic poncho for the rain.
- Water purification tablets.
- First Aid Kit.
- Water bottle.
- Passport (original).
- Student ID card (isic) if applicable.
- Extra soles or dollars.
- Walking sticks.